View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 04:56 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
I'm not opposed to that position, Bill. My first Kiner Tip-Top is in poor condition, but pre-internet, took me nearly 15 years to find. Cost: $26.00 My '47 Tip-Top Johnny Mize is also a favorite, because he is such an underrated slugger, and had such a great year: 51 HR (tying Kiner), 138 RBI, .302 and 137 runs scored). That card is also in poor condition, and cost me $48.00. As you might have noticed, I like the stars and HOF'ers from the 1947 Tip-Top set. I also have a 1921 Exhibits Hornsby, where the pic just captures his essence in PSA Ex--cost: $450, about a decade ago.

Highest regards,

Larry
Larry, there's very definitely something to be said for the purchases made before Ebay, comc.com and the internet in general. It's pretty easy to get what we want now with a little patience and enough funds.

As for Kiner, Ralph has long been one of my favorite players. I cried when he died the same way I cried when Stan Musial died. Ralph was a gentleman, and the way he abused the baseball was something I've not seen in my lifetime as an adult (at least, not without some "help" from certain medications).

In fact, the first vintage graded card I bought was his 1953 Bowman Color:

Eventually, I'll buy another example, with a little better centering, and maybe in a little better condition. But I don't see this one ever leaving my collection. It only cost between $50 and $60, but I can't tell you how many times I've spent staring at the card front wishing I could jump back in time. Those old time unis, the old stadiums. Baseball when it was still the game to the majority of Americans. I realize now that the NFL might be considered the king of the hill. Good for them. I love football, and I am a real die hard Green Bay Packers fan. But I will never love football the way I have loved, and will love baseball. On my death bed, I suppose I'll tell my wife and kids (if I end up having any) that I love them. But the last thing I'll ever utter will be "how'd the Brewers do today?"

The Tip Top Bread cards are wonderful. You have good taste. I love the color in my T206 cards, but there's something to be said about the simplicity of a great black & white picture with minimal typography to take away from the subject. I'm totally in love with the Exhibits cards, the old b&w postcards, and some of the b&w M101-5 Joe Jackson cards. Sometimes, especially when it comes to baseball cards, less is definitely more. The '53 Bowman Color set is my favorite vintage set. Nothing but history on the front of those cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Here's five of my finest!
Jeff, I never get tired of seeing the pieces in your collection.

What an absolute privilege, everybody, to see some of the favorite pieces from your collections. I am awed, and inspired, by what I have seen.

Please, by all means, keep sharing. I don't think anybody will be too upset if you extend beyond 5 or 10 cards by a few.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.