Thread: Graded or raw?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2023, 09:50 AM
Chad

My observation, but I notice a lot of people complaining about graded cards entombed, slabed whatever the term used is, then they break them out and then put them right back in an entombed state they feel is not entombed. I also don't understand the term the way they where ment to be. Where they ment to be stuck in binders, sleeves, shoeboxes, tins, safety deposit boxes or any other way of preservation? Where they ment for grown men to handle and smell them? Where they ment to be unknown or different variations worth more money? Where they ment for HOFers with bloated numbers to be more valuable then common players?

Is it a disservice to break them out without letting companies know for other collectors that want that type of information? Why devalue a card not just in terms of monetary, but also authenticity.

Raw vs graded is also funny to me as I see a formula for both, raw is graded, just in a different subjective way. If not why is 1 worth more than another or more desirable graded or raw? People care even if they try not to act like they do. I also don't buy some "don't care" if they're buying a fake even if it's raw. If you love the hobby that should bother you. I couldn't care less if its graded or raw, but I want it to be real regardless and as nice as I can find. Nothing I collect have I ever seen better then mid grade and raw has been less then that. When you're looking at truly rare cards which I am rarer then most HOF cards to be honest I try to find and preserve the best card I can get. Some like them beat up some like them mint some can only afford certain grades, but we all are trying to preserve. I can guarantee that I'm not doing it for an investment other than investing in preservation of a little known common player that I will be donating to the town so future generations can observe the past. I may be mistaken, but most if not all franchises major or minor league have some sort of entombed history including the HOF for every major sport. They seem to understand the importance of entombed treasures.