View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 11:45 AM

Jim----

In the discussion on whether or not it is worth it to have your cards graded and registered in the PSA Set Registry, there are some basic issues that must be kept in mind. Bro, I apologize if this comes off as if I'm talking down to you. It surprises me sometimes what we collectors perhaps take for granted today, as opposed to what we endured or put up with in the earlier years of the hobby. First is the plain and simple truth it was a wise decision itself to go through the cumbersome process of getting your cards graded by a reputable third party authenticator, such as PSA, SGC, and Beckett.

Down through the years, cards were handled in all sorts of ways, usually causing condition degradation. Once the adult card hobby took off, beginning about 1969, more than a few of the attempts to house and store treasured cards wound up backfiring, causing, again, condition degradation. And a lot of pain!

It wasn't until third party authenticators began grading and, to the point, properly encapsulating the cards that they remained in the condition which they were graded. You can now relax and hold that card without fear and trepidation, admire it, read the backside, and of course let SOMEONE ELSE hold it as well, without your heart being in your throat!

Once graded in that elegant holder, the card is so displayable! Having said that, you must guard against your cards being hit by direct sunlight, or overexposed to florescent lighting. That is so important. Also, display and storage in cool temperature, with stable humidity levels, is also paramount. That can be a bother, but you still have to work a bit to ensure your treasured cards stay in the same nice condition PSA graded them.

Lastly, this is a challenge to describe, but there's something extra meaningful about that swell card in a hefty graded card case. The card's importance is instantly magnified. With the protection comes the added weight of the holder, and the feel of that in your hand is wondrous.

'Nuf said. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 03-09-2016 at 12:31 PM.