View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Default Clay Kershaw and Steiner

Posted By: Tom Hufford

Back to the topic at hand, yes, in my opinion $99 is a bit much for a signature of ANY active player on ANYTHING.

I haven't seen the photo being sold, but I have seen Kershaw's signature, and unless the photo has a caption with his name on it (or shows the back of his jersey, with his name on it), the buyer can look forward to showing his new prized purchase to his friends and being greeted with "Who is it?"

Regardless of the price being paid, is it really too much to expect that the promoter ask the celebrity/player signing to provide a legible signature?

214 players or managers made their major league debuts in 2007. I have autographs of 213 of them (I keep forgetting to write the other guy). I just went through them, and could make out a grand total of 7, without looking to see the name I'd penciled in on the back! I also have the autographs of all 70 of the 1933 rookies, and my wife can read them all (although she doesn't know who they are).

I understand that most players could care less if their signatures are recognizable, but just compare a recent team-signed ball with one signed even in the 1980's, and you'll wonder why there is any market at all for the recent autographs.

I know, I digress, I'm off the subject - I'm getting old.