View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Matt,
Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned that the first Jackson sig was a cut from a legal document...and there's the rub. Putting all these comments together, and what we know about Jackson, you have the following:

1. He could sign his name, but barely and it was very labored.
2. He wasn't one to sign his name in front of anyone (probably because he was embarrassed by how long it took him.
3. If he didn't sign in front of someone, and took an item home to sign it...and Katie signed all of his autograph requests, why the heck wouldn't she sign that.
4. Every other legitimate Jackson sig has been from a legal type of document.
5. With his, or any other signer that has a slow/labored signature (and where a letter or two may be erased and re-written from time to time), how the heck would you be able to honestly give an opinion that it was legit.

If some fool wants to spend 13k on an item that "might" be legit even though there's no logical reason why it should be, well, that's their business.
Sure, you look at the autograph and judge it on it's merits, it's just that you can't do that we something like this.
All five of your points resonate with me. My grandfather was unable to read or write. He was taught to sign his signature by my grandmother. For the remaining 70 years of his life he had my grandmother, then my mother and finally me to do the day-to-day check signing etc. He only signed his name when he was required to for a mortgage, or selling the home or a couple installment loans. I would not be exagerating to say that it was years, sometimes decades in between signatures. His embarrassment was evident as he would struggle to make eleven letters. Each letter was an adventure. Erasures were the norm. I can still see him struggling to write his name, his tongue poking out of one side and then the other of his mouth. He often would stop in the middle of signing, to relax his hand. Each signature was a different train wreck and there certainly was no practicing in between. I can fully understand why Shoeless Joe's labored signature varied greatly over his lifetime. Authenticating it without documentation must be a real crap shoot...

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 09-06-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: I cannot count