View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Default Any News From The Reading Show (Philadelphia)

Posted By: Mike Peich

I have just returned from the first Reading Show and I have mixed reactions. Most of the vintage dealers one expected to see at Ft. Washington, including our beloved T-Rex, were there, with a few exceptions like Rand Bailey. The space is quite nice and ample--there was less of a crowded feeling than at Ft. Washington, and the parking is much closer to the venue, a nice touch.

There were a number of conversations about the recent auction house/altered cards thread, proof that a lot of people read the forum. Reactions were predictably mixed.

The weather today was very unpredictable, bordering on tornados. When Tim Newcomb and I arrived the wind was blowing about 45 mph, and shortly thereafter it rained heavily with the temperature dropping from 73 degrees to about 45. I suspect the weather kept people away, as did the extended drive. We thought the crowd was small for a Friday evening.

There was a fair amount of vintage material, but not a whole lot of interesting stuff. There were a umber of T206s, a few T3s and T222s, but not many caramel cards apart from over-priced, slabbed versions. There were some interesting 19c items, and maybe Jay Miller will share his discovery.

In the aggregate it was fun, but we probably won't stay too long tomorrow apart from seeing other Vintage 54 Board members. From my own selfish perspective, there was not a single Pinkerton postcard in the house. And, I bought far less than ever before.

I'm looking forward to seeing other Board members tomorrow, and to reading other reactions to the show.

Cheers, Mike