View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Default 1870's Baseball Silk....

Posted By: E, Daniel

Now that I've teased you, I have to own up and say there's no scan and I don't own the piece...BUT..

I have the opportunity to buy such a piece and was hoping for some sage words, advice, and idea of value before I pony up what might be a silly amount for it.

The Silk is 9 inches long and undoubtedly authentic to the period - no later than the early 1880's and I believe somewhere from the middle 1870's. It has the club name on it as well as a generic baseball image, although I'm hesitant to name it as I don't want to out the item and ruin the opportunity I might have to buy it. The club was an early major player in the leagues, well known to the public of the times and likely most collectors from this site. The condition is above average.

That's where I run out of puff, and ask for any assistance or knowledge anyone could add.
Is the item scarce?
Does it have great value, any guess would be appreciated.

Again, I'm sorry not to give the exact specifics or provide a scan, though if I choose after getting some opinion here to not pursue it - I'll try and get some pics from the sellers to post.

Appreciate the help.

Daniel