View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 09:25 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Was there Thursday for a while. Leon, looked for you a few times where Scott and Mile High was. Sorry I missed you. Saw a number of board members and most of the famous/infamous sellers. Probstein, Levi, PWCC folks. Said hello to many of the dealers I've done business with. Ted Z., stopped by a few times and you were deep in conversation so didn't bug you.

My impression overall was that it looked exactly the same as Atlantic City last year. I'm sure the consensus of the majority of board members will be that it was far better than last year, particularly among people who didn't go east last year. To me there was no difference. Foot traffic was impressive but I'm sure Thursday is the slowest day. I heard from a number of dealers that Wed. night was crazy.

I great mix of old, new, memorabilia and of course cards. Same trends we talk about all the time. Photos have taken off in popularity and price. Older exhibits were few and far between. Just don't see many of the 4 on 1s anymore. Most everybody was friendly and accommodating, though most dealers are reconnecting with friends and buying themselves so a lot of rushing around.

I actually spent time monitoring a few ebay auctions.

Didn't spend a dollar which was a little odd. Found three great high ticket cards and considered them all. All overpriced. A 34 Gehrig Caramel PSA 6. A bunch of 21 Ruth Exhibits. And a Maple Crispette Ruth 5. All big ticket and came close to buying the Gehrig but the dealer (a nice guy) started dicking me around about taking a credit card and splitting fees and I bailed. No, I don't carry $7,000 in cash with me often. Nice guy and I guess I just wasn't in a high end buying mood.

The one dealer that blew my doors off was Card Country. The had a case of green Cobbs and a case of red Cobbs. Are you kidding me? They had 4 21 Ruth Exhibits and I considered their PSA 4. Card was beautiful.

Saw AL from LOTG and a lot of the cool stuff in his upcoming auction.

Saw the maven of Ruth photos himself Ben and met some of his friends.

Be nice if these convention centers had decent food. Had the worst slice of pizza I've ever eaten. Deep dish is bad enough. This would have worked as a door stop perhaps.

Probably won't be in a rush to get to next years. There really isn't a deal to be had, and if there is believe me it's been scarfed up before the doors open. It's an overwhelming experience and I didn't see a single really rare card that grabbed me. Coolest stuff there is being displayed by the auction houses for their upcoming auctions.

Over and out.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-28-2017 at 09:42 AM.