View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 06:53 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

(Copied from the OBC site sorry)
Spikes flight landed about 1/2 hour after mine, so I waited for him at baggage area #9. Then Taylor picked us up, and we drove the ten minutes right to the show. Many dealers still setting up as it was six hours before the show actually opens up. But plenty dealers were ready for business too . Ran into many OBC members and also several OBC dealers.
Prices seem so cheap on the regular cards we all know and love. I found a ten cent box with 1972 Topps baseball hi numbers ten cents each? I went through six or eight monster boxes and bought all he had (I thought) 38 cards $3.80 also these 1975 Topps football checklists these are pretty scarce as you had to mail off to Topps for the uncut sheet and most kids cut them up. They have team schedule on front team checklist on the back I got 44 of them .10c each a good find for me. Later in the show I saw Ken M in the same bargain box and he found more '72 highs that I missed plus he pulled lots of '73 baseball hi numbers he said were costly all .10c I need to be more tenacious lol!
One of my first stops was Tim Newcomb who mentioned he was breaking up a set of '33 Goudey and I picked up several hits with a great discount including Rogers Hornsby with a thumbtack hole. Looks like I brought in 17 cards for my set and need around 25 more to complete.
'66 Fleer Weird Ohs, and lots of hits to my non sports sets '56 Bubbles Elvis especially but finished of '64 Munsters with the needed variation, also finished off '66 Thunderball on the cheap, and took '63 Popsicle Space cards down to just one needed. Found several needed '55 Rails and Sails hi numbers which are tough $3 each!
So it's 5:55 the show closes at six and I have spent my daily allotment. I visit William Chappells table and see a stack of '35 Goudey 4in1 I am trying for the master set four Babe Ruth cards in the master set. William has one of the two I need exept previous owner wrote "Kenny" on the back! So I was able to pay via PayPal F/F $415 for the Babe bundled with another needed '35 with Cochran and Gehringer. So I had to dig into the reserves but you make exceptions for Babe Ruth.
To bad more dealers dont accept PayPal cause I really hate to carry all this cash cash is king I guess.
Sorry for typos as I am on my phone. Up and ready for another long day!
Larry

Sent from my iPhone