View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 02:30 PM

Default 1950s Uncatalogued PC issue - Cleveland Indians Baseball Jeans

I was thrilled to pick up this PC of Rocky Colavito with a special advertising mark in the bottom left corner. The mark reads, "Official Cleveland Indians Baseball Jeans." I know very little about this issue, but I have seen one other example from this set in the 1990 reference book, Tuff Stuff's Baseball Postcard Collection, by Ron Menchine (pg 111). The example PC in his book is Ray Narleski, and the description reads, "This real-photo postcard of Narleski is unique. It's an advertising card to promote Cleveland Indians Jeans, which were available only in a Cleveland department store in 1954 and '55."

The uniform worn by both Colavito and Narleski would date from 1958-62, and of those years they were teammates for only 1958, so I am inclined to think the issue would date from that year rather than the referenced years in Menchine's book. Both the Narleski and my Colavito are also autographed.

Does anyone have any other information about this issue? Other cards in the set? The department store that created this promotion? Has anyone seen a pair of "Cleveland Indians Baseball Jeans" before?

Last edited by JLange; 04-13-2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: typos