View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Thank you for the explanation. I know at its very basic level, a Honus Wagner T206 is just a piece of cardboard, same as a MTG card. But it is weird to me because in the rest of the hobby, game cards like the Tom Barker game and Fan Craze cards are worth very little compared to non game cards of the same player.

I get the part where the Black Lotus card was a super card if someone was playing MTG, but five figures for a card that does not depict a person and is not even going to be used for the game seems weird to me. But I know that paying $44,000 for any piece of cardboard is a bit weird.
It's really not so different from any sports card. Having the Black Lotus was a dream for any MTG player 25-years ago. Now that kid is older and some of those kids "made it." So now they can have what they never did back then and dream that they were that kid with that card in their desk.

There are millions of people who play/played MTG and have that nostalgia, just like there are millions who rooted for Mantle, Jordan, Bo Jackson, etc. Makes sense that people who want to relive those memories would pay to have the best example.

I never played MTG, but I think this captures it.