View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 10:06 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Not sure why this resulted in only one response before falling off the front page. An amazing collection that I've studied several times over the years. This collection was instrumental to me in researching Tomlinson cabinets. The newly digitized images actually include a couple that I wasn't aware of and I need to update my population tracking.

Note that the collection, in its entirety includes far more than what Ernie donated. For example, the complete set of Tomlinson cabinets have been with the Library since before Ernie was born. This was one of Ernie's favorite items at the library before and after he donated his collection. Ernie told me that he always enjoyed looking at the complete run of Tomlinsons together with the team picture every time he visited the room named in his honor (Ernie Harwell Room).

At any rate, I'm going to post a couple images from the collection.

One of Ernie's better OJs (one of three Flynn cards known to exist).

A shot of Ernie with his collection before being donated.

Countless interesting photos/cabinets. This shot of the 1899 Western League magnates (mostly managers) includes Allen, Mack, Comiskey, Schmelz, Loftus, and Manning of OJ fame as well as president Ban Johnson.

Loaded with lots of T206s and early 20th century photos, especially rich in Detroit material.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 10-29-2014 at 10:14 PM.