View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 10:54 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
1) Ty Cobb's fans are long gone, and yet his cards sell for insane amounts of money. The same goes for Honus Wagner, Walter Johnson, Gehrig, Ruth, DiMaggio, etc.

2) How many videos can you find of Cobb and the others? I found one Cobb video now on YouTube that is just over two minutes long and that's it. The number of videos someone has on the Internet is totally irrelevant to collectors.

3) Then why is this football forum so dead? Also, how many football cards do you see getting exchanged in the BST?
I agree with your first two points. Unfortunately, MLB has always done a much better job glorifying its past than the NFL has. The NFL simply doesn't appear interested in their history at all. I believe this is one of the major reasons why old time baseball players are still known while old time football stars are not and I'm not sure this is gonna change.

Your third point isn't a valid argument, though. Net54 is a BASEBALL forum that has a single football category. IMHO this forum is not where football collectors go to buy/sell/talk about football for the most part. There are some great football facebook groups out there that have a lot of traffic. Also my Vintage Football Community (VFC) forum where we've had more new football threads started in the past 17 months than Net54 has had football threads in the past 8 years. And that is not a slight on Net54 at all as football isn't its main focus!

jeff