View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I get the scarcity factor. I love the rare and obscure myself (not saying the Bond Bread is rare or obscure).

There are numerous Mickey Mantle cards that are scarce or obscure, yet they are not the 1952 Topps. The Robinson Leaf card will always be iconic, even though it is not a rare card by any stretch of the imagination.

I still think being black and white hurts the Bond Bread card.
Sure, but they don’t predate the 52 Topps either. I can understand why someone would pay more for a 52T Mantle than a 51 Bowman or anything else...it’s the key card in the first ever Topps set. But for 48 Leaf? Jackie’s not even the biggest RC (Paige) and Leaf didn’t have the greatest run. I do like the Robinson Leaf aesthetically, but I’ll take a card that came out nearly two years earlier and is much harder to find every time.

I think an interesting comparison is with the Jordan 84 Star and 86 Fleer. The latter is certainly iconic (even more so than the 48 Leaf Jackie) but sells for less in the same condition than the 84 Star. Scarcity carries the day in that case.

I wouldn’t be surprised if people preferred the look of the Leaf. I’m probably in the minority in preferring black and white cards as black and white screams vintage to me.

As a hockey and soccer collector who is really only interested in Jackie as far as baseball goes, I’d hope to see the BB remain affordable. But I don’t expect it to.