View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 09:54 PM
Ted

Default Sweetwater’s new, old school set

The set is 2015 issue, but the story is pretty cool, so I wanted to post it here.

I thought it was really cool how a group of collector’s resurrected the old tradition of advertising a business by way of baseball cards. A long time ago you could buy a pack of tobacco, smokes, gum, candy or a pair of shoes, and get a baseball card. Last weekend, you could buy a beer and get a baseball card!

My wife won a sweepstakes for 3 day VIP passes to the Sweetwater Brewery 420 fest in Atlanta. I got to hob knob with a bunch of Sweetwater people, and they told me about the “baseball” cards they had created for the occasion.

They created a 10 card set of their brewers in the styles of 80’s and 90’s traditional baseball cards. Apparently a bunch of the guys that work there have collected baseball cards most of their lives, and had the idea to produce this set and distribute them at the festival. If you could collect all 10 cards, you could upgrade to a VIP pass. There were only 10 copies of the “final” card, so it was not an easy task.

I finally found a few examples, but they were pretty beerlogged by the time I scooped them up. I don’t know their production numbers, but I think it is safe to say that 100 years from now, these will be some of the hardest to find and most desirable cards to possess even though they aren’t real baseball players.

Leon, forgive me if this post is not appropriate for the pre-war forum, but I think it hits a homerun for the spirit of collecting those old school cards with a modern twist. Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SW front.JPG (65.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg SW back.JPG (59.3 KB, 116 views)