View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 PM

Some will say PSA's price guide, which you can find through google. Others will suggest a subscription to VPN.

Personally I like to view auction histories at ebay or heritage auctions.

But, I would STRONGLY caution against buying the Mantle yet. Honestly, if you don't know what one is worth, or where to find priceguides for it, you aren't ready to buy it. This card is worth several used cars, and that's for AVERAGE examples.

It is a card is one that demands great study and education into the diagnostics, because you CAN get burned. I've seen half a dozen ebay auctions selling obvious fakes, with unscrupulous bidders posting thousands of dollars for something not worth the paper it's printed on.

You can't trust PSA or SGC holders, because they can be cracked, and you've gotta know what to spot.

But if you're really adamant about getting this card, buy in person if at all possible. Go to the National (it's in the suburbs of Chicago this August if I remember correctly) and you'll find one there. Failing that, buy from an established seller, like Heritage Auctions or Memorylane or Mile High. Or there are a few ebayers I recommend. Probstein or Prewarcardcolletor are both tops as far as vintage goes. Also 707sportcards, though I think their stuff is vastly overpriced.

But please, think twice about this card. Try buying a few others '52s first. Gain experience knowing what a legit 52 card looks like. Because once you do, a fake will never fool you, because the four color offest process used back then just CAN'T be replicated by forgers today and their inkjet printers. They are out to get the ignorant, and if you educate yourself you'll never be had.

You ought not to rush. This is a card some collectors spend their whole careers building up to, and it's for a reason. It demands careful selection, after having spent a great deal of time studying the series and knowing exactly what you're buying, and from whom.