View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Steve Birmingham

I guess he figured you'd find them right away or something.

One thing I've noticed becoming more common with the rise of places like Amazon is a serious lack of patience from pretty much everyone. There are a few patient people, but not as many as before.

I've had a couple selling experiences that were similar.

First one was when I was fairly new to Ebay. Sold an old weightwatchers ad flyer for I thin $3. And in the batch of stuff I was shipping it got under a box flap and I didn't know about that for a while. Meanwhile the buyer wrote a nasty email - Somewhat understandable. I figured the mail might be slow since my incoming was spotty and asked for a couple more days. No luck, so I sent a full refund, shipping included, plus a bit extra as an apology, and offered to send it free if it ever turned up.
Got a negative on that. Kinda bugged me at the time, as it was my first.
Didn't send it when I eventually found it a month or two later.

Fast forward a few years.
I sell a 3-d Disney postcard for a pretty decent amount. And to my dismay I can't find the stack of them I have. Pretty bad, since they're BINs.... Pull the rest right away, write a very apologetic email to the buyer, refund from PP immediately after, same thing, I offer to send it free when it turns up, which I'm sure it will. Buyer is disappointed, but says it's ok. Leaves no feedback. (Negative would have been deserved, and I really felt bad about losing the whole stack, maybe 20 of the things. )
About a full year later I find them.
Go through emails etc and find her email.
Good news, if you still want it the 3d postcard finally turned up!
Reall? How much?
Free, no charge, no shipping.
Ok, thanks.

I sent one of each and she was really happy.

A few other situations happened, but fortunately all the buyers were reasonable. A couple were actually pretty cool.
What should I do with the cracked BMX helmet?
Well, it's no good, so don't bother sending it back. It's just solid white, so I'd see of a local graffiti guy could airbrush or spray it with something crazy then I'd make a lamp out of it, but whatever want to do is fine.
....Them....That's a great idea! Thanks!

Once they made feedback a one way street I stopped doing it. I will if a seller goes way beyond what's reasonable, or is new and requests it, but in general I don't bother. It's mostly meaningless. A handful of sellers I like also very occasionally get feedback, to keep their dsr numbers up.

I check a sellers negatives sometimes, and find that most of them are from a few of the same sort of people.
1) People who can't read so they miss important parts of the description.
2) People who are only marginally connected to the reality the rest of us live in. Like the ones who buy from Europe and complain their item didn't arrive within 2 days. (remarkably, I've had a few stamp sellers regularly have stuff they ship to me from Europe arrive faster than I'd expect from a US package. One from Norway actually did only take two days )
3) People with very little feedback - they're usually the most impatient unreasonable ones out there.