View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by horzverti View Post
John and his staff are indeed the source of the photos which have the round, Sporting News/John Rogers sticker on their reverse. I have purchased my share of photos through their various eBay stores (HistoricImages##, Lexibell, etc.). I also have successfully dealt with John and his team face to face at the National Show. I like to perform my own due dilligence to establish provanance to the best of my ability and resources for the items which I am interested in purchasing. I sometimes ask a lot of questions and they always answer quickly. I feel confident buying items from Rogers' archives.

In my opinion, the 'Conlon' and 'Conlon Photo' writing on the back of these photos (at beginning of thread) is not legit. I would say that this graffiti was added to the back of the photos after these photos left Rogers' team's hands. As I wrote before, the 'Conlon' writing just doesn't look like it does on legit pieces. Rogers' team would not have let these items be sold as legit Conlons. Rogers' team is building a very solid reputation in our hobby and I can't believe that hey would risk tarnishing their good name to move a few items.

Regarding the recent item on eBay, posted earlier in this thread; something smells bad here too. The item description refers to the Conlon sig as 'faux'. I believe he/she notes as 'faux' only because a prosepective buyer(s) had pointed out to him/her in the past that he is selling sketchy Conlon items. I guess it is good that the seller at very least wrote that there is some question to the legitimacy of the writing on the back. Bid on the item considering its eye appeal, not because someone scratched some gibberish on the back.

If immitation is the most sincere form of flattery, then take a bow Mr. Charles Conlon...you have earned it.

Note: if you read an opinion regarding vintage baseball photos from DRC (David Cycleback), PREWARSPORTS (Rhys Yeakley) or Henry Yee...feel confidient you are getting good info. These guys know their stuff.
Do you have facts to support your opinion that they were added after they left the hands of John's team? The seller on eBay says it came directly from them. There are also many in major auctions that I have noticed both fake signatures AND fake stamps which, I believe, get photos directly from the same team. Are you suggesting that the team uses a distributor to sell to distributors?

Please note: The seller on ebay explains EXACTLY what the item is. Eye appeal is one thing... The fact of the matter is, there is a difference in what a real vs a fake item is worth.

Scott-It might be reasonable for someone to write "Conlon photo" on the back. However it is NOT reasonable for them to replicate Conlon's signature within a circle over and over again. Why would they take the time to do that? It is not like they are little kids writing Mickey Mantle on a baseball card(trying to match his sig.).

These stamps and circled signatures appear to be placed deliberately.

This is a VERY large issue in the photo market and it should not be thrown under the rug. I will go so far as to say it is the current Couches corner of photos. A TYPE 1 BABE RUTH CONLON WITH REAL SIG AND STAMP=4 TO 5 FIGURES..... A RECENT PRINT WITH A FAKE SIG AND STAMP=LOW 1 FIGURE.

I don't care who it is, I would just like it to stop as it is hurting the hobby. Unfortunately, I do not think it will stop until the source be held accountable and exposed).

As a photo collector, I find it all very disturbing.

Ben Wein!garten

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 03-16-2012 at 04:37 AM.