Thread: I am gonna vent
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
If a dealer thought there was money to be made by paying more, they would have. They're goal is to make money so if they thought it was valuable enough to buy from you at say 1400 and sell in excess of say $1750 for a profit of at least 25% then I'm pretty sure every dealer would have jumped at that chance. They're in the business to make money, its all percentages to them. They dont care what they have to pay for an item, as long as they get it for under a certain percentage of what they feel the can comfortably sell it for and none of those dealers you offered it to felt the item was that valuable...the story spells that out. Just because you think its value is between $1500 and $5000 does not mean the market will bear out your valuation.

As for me? I wouldnt think to purchase that pin for anywhere close to what you paid for it. The market might prove me wrong and so be it. But a non-descript pin that simply says "1919 World's Series" on a generic baseball medallion...that makes no mention of the Reds, Cincinnati, the White Sox, or Chicago...just doesnt hold the value it does to me, that it apparently does to you. Just my opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion on this. I guess time will tell. You are failing to mention collector's and not just dealers which I mentioned. In total 3 people answered me. 2 dealers and 1 collector.

A lot of times, I find that dealers are scared to pay up on a item with no history. Like I said, there is no exact market on this piece as it has never traded. It came from Muchinsky's collection who said it came from a White Sox executive.

I don't mind taking chances on weird items. Maybe to a fault, but it's what makes this hobby fun to me. Seeing stuff that's never been seen etc.