View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 01:44 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMPEP View Post
Is it just me ... or are the prices asked (and sometimes received?) for Moe Berg cards WAY out of whack with other cards?

I mean the guy was an average player and a spy. Okay. Big deal.

Why do the prices for his cards rival/exceed the prices for Lou Gerhig and Jimmy Foxx?

I just don't get it.

Seems to me Berg cards should be more in line with Al Schracht cards. A common player, with an interesting back story, that makes him more than a common and less than a super star.

Am I missing something???? Why do you have to mortgage the house to get a bad condition Berg card in the 33 Goudey of 36 Fine Pens?

Patrick
Lots of people collect Jewish players as well. His story is one of the most interesting and oft repeated in the history of the sport...at least for a non-all star type player. You will also notice that there isn't much of a difference between, say, a PSA 3 and PSA 6 for the 33 Goudey. Only around $100 or so on average. This tells me that people are more interested in getting an example of the card than they are getting a better condition one. Thus, the popularity of the player due to his Jewish heritae and his uber-interesting story lead to a demand for the card.

Tom C