View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 10:52 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Thanks all for the encouraging replies here. I think at a minimum I'm going to check out COMC more in-depth. I've always heard about them, but have never taken the time to really learn what it's all about. As for the rest, I feel like I have as good a shot as anyone to be at least marginally successful in flipping cards for profit if I really took that approach. I already fund "most of" my new purchases with card sales, but I could stand to get more efficient and proactive about it rather than always acting after the fact.
Quick add-on about COMC: they changed their fees structure as of Jan. 1 in part to try and make higher-priced cards move easier. In the past, COMC has definitely been a place where many people had museum prices for items, even low-grade/high demand cards with low eye appeal. It remains to be seen if the new fees structure will bring those prices down, but from my experience, COMC is somewhere to go for lower priced items for my PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
Open your eyes, look around--many collectors aren't interested in just buying baseball cards.

Diversify--look around!

This week I bought a antique sign and some other artifacts for $305.00
Sold the lot for $1050---

Purchase a raw 1968 Ryan RC a 1958 Gibson RC and a 1972 Munson RC for $550 sent to PSA sold for 1550.00

One time I bought a piece of jade for 25.00-sold too cheap for 500.00

Bought a Civil War belt buckle for $100 sold too cheap for 800.00

--Buy-sell-trade--if you think someone might pay more-buy it--!
That's impressive! I'd definitely love to do this, but I barely have the time to enjoy researching the cards/sets that I want and keep an eye out for the examples I can afford. Maybe when we become empty-nesters in 12 years I'll take up finding other stuff to flip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Yes, I flip. Couldn’t afford to collect the cards I have without doing so. Currently have about $12k invested in a modest collection worth between $75-$80k.
Well done! I think for me, at some point, I'd pull out the cash I initially put in and enjoy the hobby without any real skin in the game!