Thread: Zimmers Game
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Default Zimmers Game

Posted By: CoreyRS.hanus

This post is from Corey...he posted in the wrong place and I moved it here.

IMO somebody got one helluva deal here. The Zimmer game, depiciting accurate color images of the games leading players, is far and away the grand daddy of baseball board games. It frames remarkably well and hung up on the wall is an incredibly stunning display piece. It is genuinely rare in any condition. While the one in REA was missing the bat, a replica can be easily created, thus preserving the display potential of the item.

The last two high-condition Zimmer games (which may also be the last two transactions of this game in any condition) took place some 7-8 years ago or so. As I recall each sold in the $27K-$28K range, though both had the box cover and one also had some of the game pieces. One of those, while gorgeous, was in slightly lesser condition that the one in REA; the other was in comparable condition. The condition of the REA example was nothing short of remarkable. IMO what hurt it the most was missing the bat. How that impacts a bidder is of course entirely subjective. Speaking only for myself, it would have a very material impact on how high I would bid, and may in fact stop me from bidding altogether. As has been said so many times, it takes two to tango. For an item such as this with probably a limited collector base, loss of even just a single big player can have a big impact on realized price.