Thread: Philly Show
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 08:52 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
My rant wasn't directed at any one person, so please don't anyone take it personally.

As for the "strong-arm" tactics. Right or wrong there was a very specific reason for it. A promoter tried to create a rival show in Oaks less than 20 miles away. They courted the same big dealers and scheduled their show often the week immediately before the Philly Show.

There are several show promoters who do the Philly show and promote their own shows (not including my fledgling efforts) and there has never been an issue with that, or dealers doing both their shows and the Philly show. It was specifically in response to someone who tried to torpedo them. It's a free market, but their reaction is also part of the free market. I'm not defending it, but I do understand it.
Yeah, having read the actual policy it is a little more nuanced than I imagined. Limited both in time and to types of shows. I kind of see both sides, but I'm not a dealer tying to get by so I'm probably not a good person to judge all of this.