View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Default Irrational Exuberance Low Number High Grade 1933 Goudeys

Posted By: cmoking

Sorry to burst your bubble Bruce, but clearly you don't understand the high-grade 1933 Goudey market very well. Whilst you did get a decent purchase on the PSA 8 Warneke, it was nothing special as far as the price was concerned.

You paid $670.

The last few PSA 8 Warneke public sales in the last three years were:

$800
$700
$2,000
$700
$710

5 PSA 8 cards have changed hands. Why so many when the pop is only 12? Probably because there is a PSA 9 and a PSA 10 in holders right now, thus the guys that upgraded sold off their 8s.

Meanwhile, the Cissell and Thevenow are in a completely different universe when it comes to high-grade Goudeys. I'm surprised you aren't aware, I thought you were well-tuned into the high-grade market.

Previous PSA 8 public sales in the last three years - just one of each card (Thevenow and Cissell)

Thevenow PSA 8: $9700
Cissell PSA 8: $4945

Whilst the price difference between the Thevenow/Cissell compared to the Warneke vis-a-vi high grade cards may be surprising to those that don't understand the high-end market, it certainly is not surprising to well-tuned collectors in this hobby.

edited to add: based on all the information I have about the parties involved, I DO NOT think the PSA 10 Gehrig truly changed hands.