View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 06:41 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Robert- Rest assured, you are embarking on a pleasant historical journey.

I don't know what part of the South you are from (I'm in Columbus, GA) , but there are many Southern players who wound up playing 'out west'.

One such player, Cliff Blankenship, was the first Columbus-born player to make it to the majors. I'm attaching a scan of his Obak card.

Cliff was a backup catcher for the Washington Senators, sent to the West while recovering from an injury to scout an outfielder named Clyde Milan and to also check out a pitcher named Walter Johnson.

Walter's grandson, Hank Thomas, is a Net54 member and wrote a wonderful biography of his Legendary Grandfather.

Another attractive set is the T210's the first series of which is the SALLY League (South Atlantic) -I completed my Columbus (GA) Foxes set last year.

I have one PCL Zeenut - of Moses Yellowhorse (scan also attached), though by many to be the first full-blooded Native American to pitch in the Majors. His biography has the greatest title, 'Sixty-Feet-Six-Inches and Other Distances from Home'.

All in all, there are just as many if not more fascinating stories connected to Minor League cards as there are to their 'Higher-Ups'.

You should also look to purchase a couple of books, 'The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball' (get the 2nd Edition, not the third, as the later one leaves out a lot of fun notes - 2nd edition is paperback, third comes in hardcover) and 'The Minor League Register' - paperback. These are statistical reference types, but with enough enjoyable text to make them worth anyone's time.

Enjoy,

Raymond

1910 T212 OBAK - CLIFF BLANKENSHIP PSA-5.jpg

1923 ZEENUT PCL MOSES YELLOWHORSE.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente