View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 10:35 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Edgar Martinez most likely won't cut it with the regular vote, I look for the veterans committee on his era to put him in. As a Seattle homer, I will celebrate. I don't care about stats, just listen to his peers.

I'm still in the Gil Hodges camp. Dominate player, historic Manager achievement (69 Miracle Mets). His exclusion surprises me...with such a Yankee and Dodger bias you would think he would have been a no brainer.

I grew up in the 80's and I'll be honest, when I think of superstars from that era I was not thinking Trammel, Whitaker, Morris...well, maybe Morris...and I loved the 84 Tigers. They were great players, but I don't get it...maybe because I didn't live in or near Detroit. I'm not trying to rile anyone up, and I am sure one could make the same comments to me about Edgar. Grich? Reading his name in this thread is the first time I have ever heard anyone talk of him and the hall. That name surprised me. Simmons? He played in an era of great catchers and was overshadowed, but his stats and how I remember him I do believe he has a shot. Imagine a Ted Simmons in today's market, he would be a superstar. I am not sure I could say that about Trammel and Whitaker. Whitaker led the league only 1 time in ANY stat on his baseball card, games played in the strike shortened 1981 season. Dominate? In 19 years? He batted over .300 once. Long above average career. Same for Trammel...he led the league twice in Sac's...twice. Nothing else. You can throw saber metrics at me all day long, if you can't lead the league during your era in ANYTHING, you were not dominate. I guess both were better than Barry Larkin, he never lead the league in anything, ever. I am sure he loves PED's more than anyone...

Great article on Minoso...his cultural additions I believe were enough. When I was a kid I actually thought he was already in. A shame he died without this honor.

I would not be upset for Tommy John as well...his above average (not enough) stats are more to do with longevity, but his addition to the game forever changed the game and many, many players after him. His name is synonymous with current baseball, how many players can say that?

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03

Last edited by Harliduck; 07-29-2016 at 10:43 PM.