View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 11:05 PM
Bill Gregory

Not Hall of Fame worthy. I made a typo last night when I said his career ERA + was 108. It's 104. For his career, he was 4% better than the average Hall of Fame pitcher. And he deserves induction into Cooperstown? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
Heck Lolich is 28th in fWAR since 1920 among all starters and considering his innings pitched is in good company for HOF consideration.
Jack Morris isn't Hall of Fame worthy, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
Lolich certainly deserves more consideration than Jack Morris.
I wouldn't call either one of those things historic.

Historic is hitting in 56 games in a row, or batting .400 in the live ball era. Being the pitcher that ends another pitcher's World Series winning streak is a nice talking point, but you're really overselling that if you consider it an historic feat.

And pitching 388 innings, while impressive, is not what I'd call historic, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Bill- While I agree with you that Lolich is not a Hall of Famer, I have to point two instances of his pitching performances being historic:

1.) He won three games in the 1968 World Series culminating with breaking Bob Gibson's 7-game World Series winning-streak - oh, and clinching the championship for the Tigers.

2.) In 1971, he amassed 376 Innings Pitched which were the most by any pitcher since Grover Cleveland Alexander threw 388 in 1917.

Now, I'd call both of those pretty darn historic.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.