View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 02:33 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

In regards to the authenticity on the '33 Goudey Gehrig on eBay.....

1. First thing to look for is the bottom red border, it should not match up perfectly at the ends with the rest of border (this also applies to the infield dirt right above the bottom red border). Sometimes this is hard to see on a scan but this one fails miserably. On an authentic '33 Goudey card the bottom red box and infield dirt would not square-up.

2. Secondly, his bat should extend into the top upper white border (albeit faintly). This one does not extend into the white border.

3. Thirdly, the button at the top of his cap should not be missing. This one passes this step, sometimes on reprints the button is cropped.

4. Lastly, the borders around the card and his uniform should NOT be too white compared to the rest of the card. This one is a bit too white. That uniform should not be so white.

That is what I look for on the front of the card to determine authenticity. This one failed on 3 of the 4; thus, it's not authentic. Frank Ward is real good at spotting fakes and he has always been very generous with his knowledge. Most of what I've learned has been from his input.

Lovely Day...

Last edited by iggyman; 04-18-2010 at 02:36 PM.