View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 11:05 AM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
I am an antique store vendor in a small town in Northern, Michigan. We boast having three traffic lights. In just over three years that I have been there, I have bought and sold many vintage gloves and bats. My prices for sports cards are about the lowest around. I figure, if they did not cost me much, I can pass on a savings to my buyers. On several occasions, I have sold in misc. Cards alone, over 500 dollars in one day. Not long ago, an elderly couple came in with two shoe boxes of cards and they said they believe they are worth a Thousand dollars. My wife would not let me take the money out of the bank, so I contacted a collector who comes in ofter and told him what I saw at a glance was several 50s Mantle cards, a 57 Mantle, several Mays as these cards all appeared to be from 1955 to early 1960s. He was there almost immediately after I hung up the phone and paid the money they demanded. Turned out there was nearly a complete set of 1957 cards,along with a total of 5 Mantles, a Jackie Robinson, numerous Mays, Aarons, and on and on. I have never found out what the final value may have been, but the cards were in beautiful condition. My guess, the collection was three to five times in value.
I have several collectors names on hand and what they are looking for. With the cards I have left, they bring up conversations with strangers who give their stories what they have. Some expressed interest in selling some day, some cards have turned out to be a bust, but once in a while, those shoe boxes come in. My wife now regrets her decision to not let me spend the money, but if the value is beyond my means, I call my friends who have the deeper pockets. So don,t just cruise thru those antique store, it does not hurt to drop you name and number and what you are looking for.
And this is why i don’t ask my wife I just do it. She won’t be mad when the profits roll in. In fact she’ll have her hand out.