Thread: 48 Leaf Joe D
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Default 48 Leaf Joe D

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

And I collect raw cards that are about vg to ex, a very few sets, some Cardinal cards, type cards of some sets, and specific players depending on who they are and what they did... an example of that would be Doc Prothro, who played for the Reds, Red Sox, and in Washington, in the early 20s. He played in the PCL and is on a Zee-Nut card. He was a dentist, hence the knickname. His son Tommy married a girl named Ann who was from Franklin, KY, my hometown. Tommy coached football, college and NFL, he coached the Rams, and was on the cover of SI. So I'm tickled when I pick up a Prothro card.

I don't collect PSA 8 or 9 cards, they are of no use to me. For a multitude of reasons I like to be able to touch the card, not have plastic keeping me away. And I generally prefer a card that is worn a bit, so I'm not concerned about damaging a pristine card.

I understand you enjoy collecting PSA 8 and 9 cards. I would find little joy in that. And I doubt if I'd ever find a Doc Protrho card if I'd only settle for a PSA 8 or better.

So my previous post was correct, Dennis. The card "is of no use to" Jim because it isn't in a holder with 8 or 9 on it. Joe D was looking good. Still does. For Jim it isn't about a beautiful card, it is about 8s and 9s.

There, I got through all of that without insulting anyone, I hope.

An exception to my VG goal would be Angermeier fielding, Barney, Goostree leaning on bat, and Whitaker, all in series 6 of T210, I'll gladly buy or swap for those even if they're in fair shape.