View Single Post
Old 07-21-2017, 04:03 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

In general, what are the methods for determining if an old postcard is legitimate? With the vast majority of baseball cards, the who/what/when is pretty straight forward. Overall, the process is easy. But with postcards (for a non-collector like me) where in heck do you begin??

As an example, if you go into NYC or San Fran, there are countless different postcards showing, for instance, the Statue of Liberty or that big orange bridge crossing the Bay. These are seemingly produced by innumerable numbers of different outfits. And new ones are continually released year after year. (Can you even imagine trying to collect them all??) So, back in the day, with 'The Babe' being as world famous as he was, wouldn't there have been untold numbers of different postcards produced (in and out of the NY area, via official and non-official avenues) by a wide range of different sources with him and/or Yankee Stadium on them??

To be clear, I'm in no way giving an opinion on the legitimacy of the postcard in this thread. I literally have no experience in that arena, but who keeps the official 'record' of what old time postcards are legitimate? And I'm not referring so much to the science aspect. Examining the ink, printing process, etc., will tell you if the timeframe is right, but never underestimate what scamming forgers can do, too.

Bottom line, aren't there plenty of Babe Ruth postcards out there that time has forgotten?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.