View Single Post
Old 07-22-2015, 07:13 AM
John

Motley has long been one of my favorite players (this goes back to when I was a kid and read about him - I picked up a library book about football and read his chapter - it was my first exposure to NFL history and I never forgot it).

The only source I've ever found on the vehicular homicide conviction is from a writer named Dan Daly - the book is called "The National forgotten league". I never read it, but excerpts were published for promotional reasons and can be found online. I suspect there are some good stories in there, but I guess personally I wasn't excited about it because the Motley part has a bit too much of a tabloid feel to it. The story explains that Motley tried to pass a car by driving into the opposite lane and crashed head on into an oncoming car. I believe it was nighttime and that's about the extent of the details provided.

I had found the exclusion of Motley and Willis suspicious and disappointing, but in fairness, I think 1946 was the AAFC's first season. Otto Graham was a star at Northwestern and drafted by the Lions, but beyond him, not sure anyone else could've been projected to be a star before the season started.

P.S. On a brighter note, this was a great thread to read - I wasn't here the first time around, and this was a set I always found interesting since it arguably contains "rookie" cards of Graham and Dante Lavelli.

P.S.S. Speaking of AAFC collectables, there isn't anything on Spec Sanders, right?

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 07-22-2015 at 07:15 AM.