View Single Post
Old 10-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Default 1871 J. A. Pierce & Company Discovery

Posted By: RobertEdwardAuctions

The four CDVs pictured in Mark Rucker’s book are the very same four that are referenced by REA as being in the collection of the Chicago Historical Society. Because there are no illustrations of the backs of the cards in Mark’s book, it was never clear that these were a card issue. (Presumably the reverses of those examples have the same advertising for J. A. Pierce & Co. Sporting Goods, though we are not yet certain. The Chicago Historical Society examples may be samples from the photographer, which means that the backs, like the fronts, may be slightly different than others). There have been several J.A. Pierce & Co. cards that have surfaced over the years, but to the best of my knowledge all have been the Chicago team. That is why Chicago is the only team listed in The Standard Catalog and for years it was assumed that this was probably a “one card set.” This seemed all the more reasonable in light of the fact that J. A. Pierce was a sporting goods company located in Chicago. When these four cards were recently discovered, it was exciting for me to learn that these cards were part of an actual set featuring all major league teams, issued by a Chicago sporting goods company during the very first year of the National Association in 1871. I am unaware of any other teams that have ever surfaced. If anyone has information about others, we would very much like to learn about them, both for The Standard Catalog checklist of known teams, and to reference in our auction catalog description. The cards will be offered individually.

Sincerely,

Robert Lifson

Robert Edward Auctions

www.RobertEdwardAuctions.com