View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Kenny Cole

Which set? Lots of people, including me, collect HOF players. The issue Jay raised, as I understand it, is why would you pay to slab a card of a player from the 1800s (for example) that was printed now? Collecting HOFers is great. Lots of us do it. But why would you pay the grading fees for a card that is nowhere near when the HOFer played, and, thus, the value of the card is miniscule compared to the price to grade it?

As I said, to each his own. But IMO, I would much rather save the money that I would spend grading those cards in favor of spending them on a vintage card of that HOF player. Value-wise, that's a no-brainer. A POS card of a early 1900's HOFer will be far more valuable than a 2009 card of that same HOF'er. Every time. So why spend the money on the slab?

Again, this is an IMO thing, but if I could spend a couple grand on grading recent cards of old players, or spend a couple grand on cards of those same players from when they actually played, I'd go for the latter The PSA set registry doesn't even enter into the equation because, as Jay mentioned, it is meaningless. Just my ..$.02