View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 03:00 PM

Default Crazy '08

I read Crazy '08 by Cait Murphy. For those not familiar with the book, Cait edits/writes in Economics related fields/publications and this is somewheat reflected in her writing style. The book recounts the season of 1908 and the battles between the Cubs/Giants & Pirates - as well as battles with some fo the other AL teams. She also brings other topics together that are tangentially related to base ball.

I found her writing style a little formal and fact oriented at first. After several chapters into the book, I began to appreciate the history and the seemingly unrelated events she brought into the 1908 season. For instance, she briefly reviewed Abner Doubleday and his association with the game; secondarily how Take Me Out to the Ball Game" became the de facto song associated with today's game. It can be a little distracting to some....but all in all a good read.

I have read Lefty Grove: American Original (by Jim Kaplan) and found that entertaining. I also really enjoyed Ty & the Babe (Tom Stanton).

Ty & the Babe detailed one of the fiercest personal rivalries of all time during the Ty & The Babe's playing career. The book details how Cobb pissed the Babe off and the Babe came in to pitch even after he left his pitching career behing.....just so he could pitch to Cobb.

The book not only detailed the rivalry (i.e. read every at bat) on the field & off the field as well as in their personal lives - but culminates in a mind blowing highly publicized "best of 3" golf match at the twilight of their careers. Babe was a significantly better golfer than Ty......but there were a few surprises and I am not going to tell you how the match ends. Suffice it to say it was quite an interesting read of two highly competitive men that never wanted to be bested.

To top it off, Cobb was deeply sad when the Babe passed away...and reading about the rivalry from a personal and professional perspective was really touching.

The match was so important to these two....that the winner put the championship trophy on their mantle for the remainder of their life......