View Single Post
Old 05-07-2023, 03:18 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by trambo View Post
I have no doubt that some higher grade cards are trimmed and the TPGs miss them at times. I don't think more than 90% and would contend that it's far, far less than that. My opinion and it clearly differs from yours.

Your recollection of that time frame and mine aren't the same as it relates to Tobacco Row. Simply, I disagree with your assessment on how your comments were received. You and a few others decided that every post being made or commented on had to be about trimming cards and how the hobby was going to hell. After several dozen of those exact comments it gets old. Just because people call you on it doesn't mean we didn't agree with the concept that people trim cards, it's an issue and it stinks. Some of us can know that's a thing yet focus on more positive aspects of the hobby as well. Getting beaten over the head with it is unnecessary and my guess is when someone called you on it, you left the group and left it with the above opinion. What I would've (and am) told (telling) you is no issue with bringing up a point like that but no need to bring it up daily for weeks in every post. It's just annoying. I doubt I'm the only person that felt that way at the time and nothing's changed. We can focus on the good of the hobby while acknowledging there are aspects of it that aren't great.

My take on those posts back then is that you were 100% fear mongering. You were thinking (and maybe still do) that the sky is falling or will fall in the tobacco market. And while you may think we hated what you said, speaking for myself, I didn't like it because of the frequency of you and others saying it. It was annoying. I want to talk about all aspects of the hobby and not get beaten over the head about only the bad things. That's what was happening then.

..and I do collect those types of cards and I completely disagree that more than 9 out of 10 of them have been altered. I'm cool if you don't agree with me and I can assure you I won't beat you over the head with my opinion. I'd appreciate the same in kind..

Troy Rambo
Troy, thanks for the dialogue. My intention was not to be annoying but to warn newer collectors of my opinion on slabbed high end tobacco cards.

I have collected cards for over 30+ years. I firmly believe that most high end slabbed t206 cards are in an altered state. Look at blowout and other sites, they point out before and after pictures over and over again. It has been going on and will continue to go on. That is my belief.