View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 10:46 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_rookie View Post
It’s obvious there are many different opinions regarding the color of the flip and that not everyone will be happy, regardless what color they use. With that in mind, SGC should offer whatever color the customer chooses. Doesn’t seem like it would be very difficult for them to do, nor cost prohibitive. It could be as simple as an option to fill out on the submission form. So if I’ve submitted a bunch of ‘48-49 Leaf, I could ask for a particular color...say blue for example. For my ‘52 Topps I would like to have green ones. Then I could identify a card from far away (identity the year/issue anyway). Of course it may be a little more difficult to sell a rainbow-colored collection when the time comes...lol.
Although I haven't thought it through,it seems to me that this is actually not a bad idea in general, although I would tweak it. Leave the flip as it is, but have another flip, identical in format, that gets affixed over the top (on the holder) and is readily removable. This could not be the same color as any of the "official" flips, or if it was, it would need some distinguishing characteristic so it could not be perceived as official if removed and used improperly. Then all of your cards would have the same look, in a manner endorsed by the grading company and in a format that all know, but you still could remove your own labels when selling so that the buyer: a) can see the original and official flip to determine it's legit, and b)would not be turned away by your choice of fuschia and yellow. Again, it should be readily removable so as to not leave a bunch of residue or otherwise make it hard to get the holder back to its initial look.

As suggested, it seems to me the "over-flips" could easily be printed in a variety of colors at low cost and with little production time added. Maybe make them tamper evident--I dunno, just spit-ballin here. Personally, I have no concern about the colors, fonts, style, etc. of the flip, but I see where it makes a difference to a lot of folks here, so maybe we can refine the particulars if people are interested in the concept. After all and as observed, others are already slapping stickers on these slabs--why not have some personalized decorating done at the ground level?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 07-05-2018 at 10:58 AM.