View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Default W551 Ruth Strip card questions

Recently purchased what I believe is a very nice W551 Ruth Strip card and have a couple questions. First off, I really feel like the card is under graded as it rests (whether you agree or disagree to strip cards receiving grades, or my opinion of the current grade is not relevant...yet, please be patient!), it is very clean aside from a crease in the upper left corner and some soiling of some sort in that same corner. There's no paper loss, no additional creases, and as you can see the card appears to be wider than the minimum size requirement for this issue, albeit crudely cut. Which leads me to my questions.

1) What are the minimum dimensions on this issue?
2) In so much as this card is hand-cut anyways, is there any moral or ethical reason that should prevent me from slightly trimming down the right edge, assuming I can keep the dimensions in tact for a numerical re-grade?
3) Is it worth it and what would you do? I don't have any plans to sell, but would love this to be a 2.5 or a 3 considering this card has maintained the dimensions to receive a numerical grade (with some to spare) while the vast majority haven't.

As much as I appreciate everyone's opinion on whether or not hand-cut strip cards even deserve to receive numeric grades, I'm much more concerned with people's opinion of trimming the card while keeping it within the limits that allow for numeric grading as this card appears to have plenty of room to lose (like maybe a millimeter or two, lol).

Having said that, I appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W551Ruth.jpg (28.4 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 06-22-2014 at 08:24 PM.