View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Default Southern California Sports Club in the 1970s

Posted By: Matt federgreen

I've been a long time lurker, but after reading this post I couldn't resist keeping off any longer. Oh the memories. My first meeting was in 76'. I was 13 and was brought by Al Savage. (I use to mow his lawn for cards) . He also lived across the street from Nelson Katz another old timer who I heard past away a few years ago. What ever happened to Mark Christensen (Wasn't he 6' 10'' tall). I remember buying 65' Carltons from him for a buck. He pulled them out of a 500 count vending box filled with just Carltons.

I also remember the West Coast Card Club meetings starting around 77' held at the Northridge Woman's Club. I remember buying Ryan and Bench rookies from Max Himmelstein still in his commons.

What about the time that Tony Galovich chased a kid down the hill at the convention at the Universal Sheraton for taking a notebook fill with cards. He caught him then carried him back up the hill. That's a big hill.

Wasn't Bill Hietman was part of that original group.

The guy who was caught for the Rose Rookies was David Soffer (I think that's how you spell his name). However, I think there were a few others involved. That was in 83' if memory serves me.

Now that I'm here I will try to continue to add to this great resource.

Matt. BH Baseball Card Shop