View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 08:51 AM
Alan Elefson

Default 1867 National Association Newspaper Article

Hi-

I recently acquired the December 12 1867 Newspaper scanned below. On the front page there is an article titled "The Base-Ball Players National Convention" and the byline states "From Our Special Correspondent Philadelphia December 11 1867". Does anyone know who the special correspondent is? I am guessing/hoping it is Chadwick, but I know he was writing for the ball players journal at the same time so I do not know.

The most interesting part of the article is the author's following quote.

"...and thirdly, and selfishly and cowardly, it is resolved that, "No club composed of persons of color, shall be admitted into the National Association."

The author of this article was clearly not happy with the convention's vote, and I thought it was interesting how he used the words selfish and specifically cowardly. It is obvious now that both of these words are true (and many more), but I wonder how many other contemporary writers expressed similar views? Does anyone have any other articles pertaining to the convention? What is the viewpoint? I seem to remember a short article in an Oliver Optics magazine but I think it is just a summary with no opinions.

Please feel free to show anything related to the 1867 convention (or any early convention items or newspaper articles).

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img580.jpg (80.2 KB, 116 views)