View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
The S74 colored silks came in at least nine distinct colors, with many shades within each color. Off the top of my head: blue, green, tan. ivory, gold, purple, red, pink and orange. Some are more difficult (orange, purple, red and tan) but command very little, if any. premium. Blue and green are the most common. The ink comes in various shades of blue, black, red and brown, depending on the background color. Some colored silks have been observed with blank paper backing. It is unclear if this was as originally issued. A few examples can be seen on my website below.
There are actually only three different colors of ink used on the silks; blue, brown and a reddish-rust color. If you look just at the printing on the white version silks it is pretty easy to determine and see. When coupled with certain shades or colors on the colored version silks, it may give the appearance that there are more than three different ink colors but, it is only those three. Below you can see the blue, brown and reddish-rust colored inks used on these three different blue colored silks. You can also see the subtle shade differences in the blue colored material used that Ed was mentioning.

Also, these are not printed on silk. In fact, if you view the advertisement on the back of a white version silk it clearly states these are on satin material. See post #5 above. And if you've ever held and felt the material of a white version silk, I'm not so sure you'd call it satin either. Not sure where the description "silk" originally came from and why that stuck as the name for these S-74s. I've always assumed it was from early collectors, like Burdick, lumping these in with other similar collectibles that actually were printed on silk, and just giving them all that same "S" designation that was used in the American Card Catalog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S74-2 Silks Blue Tones.jpg (65.9 KB, 180 views)