Thread: Was I Shilled??
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
It also depends on what you collect. I understand I may have a card or two that has an alteration. I happen to know a few people in the hobby and my sources tell me that the lower grade cards are less likely to be altered. I think if you know what you are doing and don't collect the high grade stuff, you are far less likely to have issues. I have not worried, over any period of time (of course individually every now and then I worry a bit) about cards in my collection with respect to alterations. I sleep well at night knowing almost all of my pr-ex cards are fine. As for shilling, unfortunately before about 5 yrs ago I think I was probably shilled a fair amount....since then probably not too much. I am sure I could be wrong but my "shit to equity" ratio in the hobby is still way up on the equity side. I still enjoy it immensely. If you don't enjoy the hobby or worry all of the time I would recommend doing something else.
Hey Leon,

I am a little late with my 2 cents but I thought of you recently when I got several lower grade items from an auction house who will remain nameless. 3 cards were graded (2 SGC and 1 PSA) and virtually as low a grade as you can get and all 3 cards were heavily worked. Also the ungraded material I got (about 40 cards) had also been worked. Those 40 cards ranged in value of $40 to $400. And while I would not base this experience on all lower grade material which is sold, I have come to expect that if the item is worth enough money then there is a good chance someone will have made an effort to make it worth just a bit more.

Greg