View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Default New Pennant and Request for Feedback.

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Mike, Mark, Aaron, Dan, guys...

The Red Pennant shown above is stitched in a few spots to the matt. You can't see the stitching at all. I believe it's an invisible stitch that's placed. I THINK the way its done is that the needle is placed into the cloth at a 45 degree angle, it then penetrates the matt, goes out of the matt and back into the pennant at another 45 degree and into the same first needle pass so that you don't see a stitch. (We used to do this placing trim on hats when I used to do Revolutionary War reenacting years ago - you never see the stitching). Anyway, the pennant does NOT touch the glass. Your framer is correct, you have to let the piece be away from the glass to breath.

The second option on my two other pennants is that the pennants are in a clear plastic sleeve. They're held in by friction I believe. This sleeve is then placed behind the matting. You DO see the plastic sleeve when you look at it on an angle.

Personally I like the first way (stitched) better. It's done with museum quality attention (be sure to put archival glass and matting in place to avoid acids and uv penetration).

Of course, then be ready to bend over big time. Framing is ridiculous in price now. I think I dropped close to $300 on framing for the one I pictured (the other two came in frames, they're ok, but not exactly what I would have done if I chose the framing).

Here are some shots, hard to take because of the flash.

In either case, Mike, that is one AWESOME pennant. It should go in the living room.

Greg

Invisible stitch at points, pennant on matt, off glass

Pennant in plastic(?) sleeve, under matt. OK, but Kinda shiney when you look at it from an angle