View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 04:31 PM

Default Baseball Team Tintype Photo

This is my first post here and thanks very much for having me. I recently acquired this baseball tintype photo and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or information about it. I am attaching a few photos and a close up of one of the player's jersey. It is roughly 3.75 x 5 inches in size. The team jersey says "B. Actives" So, I believe the name of the team to be the "Actives" and maybe the "B." stands for the city they are from or stands for baseball. Any thoughts? The image is a reverse image, so we flipped it around to be able to read it easier and zoomed in on the jersey. Each of the players have their position on their jersey and in the top row you can see CF, RF, LF, and C and appears to be a P down on the players below in the first row. You can see some baseball bats and a catcher's mask. I have researched catcher's masks and they didn't exist until 1876, so I believe the picture of course has to be after that year. I am an avid baseball fan and collector and thought some people might be interested in seeing this.

Disclaimer: I once posted a tintype photo on ebay and thought it might be a baseball team and took a lot of heat over it. I thought some people in the photo looked like several guys from a professional team and people thought I was completely nuts. I am not an expert and was actually just searching for more information. I am posting this because it made several people very upset on this board at that time. I accept responsibility for my error and understand if you do not want to comment on my post. I contacted someone who is an expert recently and they told me to take a hike because they remembered me. I am not trying to hide my identity or make something out of this. I am just hoping to fit in with the group as we share the same passion for baseball and maybe find out a little more about the history of this team. Thanks very much for your time and forgiveness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baseballteam1.jpg (73.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg baseballteam2.jpg (73.1 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg 20190104_185527.jpg (73.5 KB, 167 views)