View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 04:42 PM
George E.

Default W560 advice; Hornsby and Johnson

Hello everyone,

My name is George. I am new here. Here is a brief introduction: I am of those who where obsessed with cards as a kid and teen, then was disillusioned with the market of the late 90s and distracted by college and starting a family, only to return in my 30s and find out my old collection had no market value. In some ways I was glad for this because it allowed me to re-enter the game with minimal investment. After stumbling upon, and winning, a poor man's Ty Cobb (The National Game Runner Sliding) I was bewitched by pre-war cards... which led me here. I am a Cardinals fan, but grew a Tigers fan. There you have it.

I have really enjoyed reading through the site over the last week. I have learned a lot from the wealth of expertise here and have appreciated the friendly atmosphere. This is a classy place.

Here is where I need help (today) - I gambled on a junk lot and it looks like what I hoped would be included actually was included. From what I have read on the site these W560s pass the tests, but I want to be sure before I try and sell them (No offense Cubs fans, but I'd rather have a Cardinals Hornsby). So first, anyone suspicious of these? Second, assuming they're legit, what do you suggest I do with the original remnant on the Hornsby. The Hornsby was the left-most card on the strip and whoever originally cut it didn't cut the left side or bottom. Do I leave it be? or do I cut it? I understand the argument not to cut up an un-cut strip, but what about one already cut? And lastly, I know this may be a tacky question, but how do I value these, especially as they are cut (Also, I don't know how well you can see it but the Hornsby has a light crease across he middle)? From what I have read the two-tones are scarcer than the monochromes, but I haven't seen many sales to compare them to. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hornsbyfront4.jpg (18.8 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg Hornsbyback4.jpg (13.7 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg Johnsonfront4.jpg (18.1 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg Johnsonback4.jpg (12.5 KB, 400 views)