View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 10:06 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
With the 52 Topps cards, high # cards actually mean something as they are the rarest of that set.

Many, because of their late introduction to market were thrown in the sea due to lack of sales so high number cards are harder to come by and therefore, usually, worth more money.

I personally think, when you read that, with many listings other than the 52 Topps series, some are just using that as an excuse to try and drum up business as I don't think many, or any sets prior or after that Topps series were thrown into the sea?
52 was an odd instance. Topps had loads of leftovers because they hadn't figured sales would be as low as they were. And they didn't have a lot of warehouse space.

In later years they were smarter and produced fewer of the last series anticipating lower sales than there were for earlier series. They also found ways of moving the leftovers - "fun packs" for Halloween, and maybe a few other ways (Won't get into the whole Christmas rack pack thing, other than to say that the one I bought while nothing appears to be centered well, it does have a 58 high number showing so the cards aren't always entirely junk )

So while the 52 High numbers are fairly tough and have that great story, the last series of other years are also harder to find than the earlier series.

In at least one instance this continued after the baseball sets changed to being issued all at once. The original Star Wars cards ran to 5 series. The last one was similar to the baseball (and for 72 football) high numbers. I only found out they existed from friends who lived across town and bought their candy and cards from the one place that carried them.

Steve B