View Single Post
Old 08-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default Expert Mantle opinions wanted! Fantasy camp or fantasy piece?

Sometimes, my curiosity gets the best of me. I watched this jersey go around on ebay a few times, and shied away from it. But then one night, I saw it again, and had a thought. The longer the night went on, the more the thought came back. So, long story short, I was able to successfully negotiate a sale, and the jersey arrived today. I didn’t pay a lot for it, but I will leave it to you to look up the completed sales if you want to know; I am sure it is there.

Essentially, my thought was this:
It could be a total fantasy piece. If it is, no one made any effort to hide anything.
But, I think the tags look correct for a 1985 game worn jersey. You can clearly see that someone took scissors and trimmed out the word “Fisher” in the collar, and wrote in “Mick”. They also crossed out “Hop”. You can also clearly see that the number “54” was once on this jersey. You can also clearly see that another number, “74” was also on this jersey. Then at some point, the “4” was taken off, and the “7” was moved over to the center.

Is it possible that this was a Brian Fisher gamer, recycled to Florida for spring training (which would explain the “74”), and then recycled again for one of Mick’s fantasy camps? I could totally envision (and by now, my theory turns into a total fable) Mick putting on a trash jersey with his number on it, just long enough to run out onto the field and give it to some guy who plunked down his money for the ultimate Yankee experience.

As usual, I want to say that I felt that the ebay seller was more than honest with me about what I was buying, and I completely made this ridiculous story up all by myself.

So, I am asking you, the Net54 experts, to chime in with any and all opinions. Don’t worry, I am fully expecting to wake up tomorrow morning and see 1000+ comments of “you are a knucklehead”; but hey, in this hobby, sometimes you have just got to have a little fun with your imagination.

Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170810_194738.jpg (24.6 KB, 543 views)
File Type: jpg 20170810_194755.jpg (23.5 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg 20170810_194818.jpg (24.3 KB, 544 views)
File Type: jpg 20170810_194850.jpg (24.8 KB, 541 views)
File Type: jpg 20170810_194905.jpg (23.8 KB, 546 views)