View Single Post
Old 04-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Paul, Babe Ruth was in the game. There was a reason it was a record size crowd. Check out this article from the Sept 30 Reading Times, the day following. This item is really tremendous!

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/45567225/
Joe, thanks for digging that up, very good info., I'm going to read more now on that link.

Yah it looks much clearer in person, but still a lil' tough to make out the players. And just speculating, but Jackson was much more popular then Ruth in 1918, Ruth while a tremendous pitcher was just starting to get in the limelight, Jackson was the headliner as they lead off with him in the article too.

So my guess is Jackson was the centerpiece of the photo and those baggie pants look like him, but who knows. My eyes suck too so that doesn't help.

EDITED TO SAY: looks like I was wrong, great stuff Joe, reading the old newspaper articles headline says "All eyes on Ruth". So looks like they shared the stage and Ruth played !B and Pitched, and Rogers Hornsby on the other team....WOW pretty cool! (Fellow Black Sox-er Lefty Williams pitched as well.)

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 04-09-2016 at 11:19 AM.