View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 12:28 AM
Todd Schultz

Default My sad tale.

I’m afraid I’m a lost cause. I can’t seem to settle into anything, although now m101s occupy most of my energy. I was born and raised a set collector, and still have much of that in my blood, but I have few sets anymore, and do not really chase them, much less runs of them covering consecutive years. Here’s a peek at my decades of drifting (dates are approximate):

1966-1982. Topps sets only, until 1981 made me realize I had to have Fleer and Donruss and that this was only going to expand, not contract. Soooo..

1982-1992: collect all sets but no inserts unless they really caught my eye. Started player collecting–picked 10 players from 50's/60's and tried to get all of their cards.

1993: stopped collecting modern cold turkey, and have not gone back. Started team collecting: Minnesota Twins, with regionals. Getting stuck on player collections–those early cards in my required nm-mt range were pricey.

1995-1998: started regional collecting: North Stars and Vikings w/other oddball Minnesota stuff. Also, I had always collected all four major sports so I started to go back and try and start or fill some non-baseball sets from the 1960's and early 70's. My 10 player set was being sold off bit by bit for other projects–unrecognizable today.

Around this time I began to dabble more in prewar. I had always been willing to drop $$ on anything that interested me over the years, with no focus, but looked at it more seriously now. Problem was, I was always a high-grade guy only, the rest turned me off, so I had to take a reality pill.

1999. Now I’m more into sets again, this time professionally graded. Childhood sets are disassembled and sold as I convinced myself only “pack fresh” cards would do. One of many mistakes. Kept my 1961 raw set though--but decided it not worthwhile to submit these for grading by the dozens just so I could have slabbed cards and get affirmation of my grading prowess.

2000-2012 Mostly prewar thank you, although not afraid to drink and bid at auctions on anything that catches my eye (still true). Begin type collecting and like it. Kept set collecting though–m101, Colgan, Sweet Cap pins. Start and abandon at least a dozen other set projects--remnants remain.

2008-2014. HOF set, mostly focused post-war. Rules were only one of each player and every major set had to be represented but could only have one card, with occasional regionals. Fun for awhile–then abandoned for $$$.

2016- present. Still chase m101s. Still have a few prewar sets as projects. Still have types, but not a type collector. Most post-war graded cards gone. Started collecting nice raw cards from 1950's and 1960's when the mood strikes. No hurries, no worries. And as is obvious, no clue.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.