View Single Post
Old 05-08-2002, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Default Continuing the HOF debates -- Who Should NOT be in and why

Posted By: Cy

I started the discussion on Nolan Ryan. I do think he deserves to be in the Hall. But I don't think he is in the upper echelon of pitchers. "Sudden" Sam McDowell pitched as fast or close to Ryan and he is not Hall material to me. So raw speed isn't a determining factor of greatness.

If you will allow me to ramble a bit, here is my criteria for choosing a player in the Hall. Rank the players at that position from best to worst. This can be subjective. That's no problem. Then take (maybe) five to 10 of the middle players (median players). Does this new potential Hall of Famer compare at all with the middle ground player? If the answer is quite possibly or definitely, let him in. If not, keep him out.

Allowing Phil Niekro and Don Sutton in will allow some other marginal players in, too. If you compare these two pitchers with the median pitchers in the Hall, they couldn't carry their Jock straps. I know I don't have all of the answers. But by looking at the median, at least we won't be trying to slide some players in because they are comparable to the worst at that position.

Cy